We finally got away from New Orleans, on Saturday, April 8. All the bridges and locks worked and we proceeded to Houma. The water was low so we were unable to pull alongside the bulkhead at the Houma City Marina. So, we tied the bow off so we could climb on and off and left the aft out in the channel. We pulled the aft end in as far as possible and we were hard aground when we called it a night. During the night, the water came up enough for us to back out of the channel but still not get close to the bulkhead All's well that end's well ;-).
On Sunday, we proceeded to the Morgan City area. Tow traffic is really up since the last time we were this way. The economy is doing pretty good. I'm told the oil industry is now slowly coming back also. Morgan City docks are still under construction so we chose the free docks on the Berwick side of the Atchafalaya River. We checked in with the police department that we were there and spent a quiet night.
Monday, we were off to Shell Morgan in Intracoastal City. We got fuel and tied up on their bulkhead to spend the night. Ernie ran over to the little grocery and picked up a few items. The store closes at 4 pm if anyone is heading that way.
We spent Tuesday night anchored at the oxbow on the Mermentau River. This is my favorite anchorage. It is quiet, calm, beautiful. On this particular night, it was also stormy, windy and rainy. The worse of the weather cleared out before bedtime so we spent a quiet night. The next morning, after pulling the anchor up, we discovered the boat wouldn't go. The engine was fine, the gear shift moved just fine, but no go. We reset the anchor and Ernie started looking for the problem. He discovered all 4 bolts to the shaft coupler had fallen out. We retrieved all the bolts, nuts and washers from the sump and proceeded to put it all back together. The repair was successful and we were off.
Shell Island anchorage was our next destination and we spent Wednesday night. We were the only ones in the anchorage and had a quiet night. We woke up totally socked in by fog. The fog didn't lift til after 9 am and we got underway around 9:30 am.
Thursday was a long day as we were headed to the Galveston Yacht Basin for the night. We had our first bad experience with tows for this trip and one of the very few in our cruising experience. After a couple of long delays due to tow traffic and dealing with some very unprofessional behavior on the tow drivers part, we arrived at Galveston Yacht Basin around 8 pm and tied up just as the sun set.
We set out on the last leg of this journey around 9:30 am and made it into our slip around 1:30 pm. We were met by our dear friends Barb and Josh, EJ and Ross and Cory. It was wonderful to see our friends waiting to catch our lines.
So, we have settled into our new slip. Drop by and visit us at Slip L-01 when you get a chance. Now we are working on what our next adventure will be. Stay tuned....